The History of Payne Springs United Methodist Church
For over a century, our church has been serving the community of Payne Springs, originally known as Mallard Prairie Methodist Church. In 1880, a log structure sanctuary was dedicated and served as a gathering place for worship and fellowship. The church building also served as a gathering place for elections and political rallies. Often summer revivals were held under brush arbor on the church grounds. The early preachers would ride their horses to church and were known as Circuit Riders. Pallets were placed on the ground or floor for the children to sleep during services. The revivals often lasted a few days and families would come in their covered wagons for sleeping and often meals were prepared over an open fire. These events were social as well as religious.
Between 1900-1901 Mallard Prairie Methodist Church was renamed Payne Springs United Methodist Church and a new church was built. In 1944, the men in the community tore down the building and a smaller white frame was built. This space served this faith community well until the need for additional space was realized in 1973, when the lake area began to grow. A new structure was built and has been updated as needed.